South Carolina Society

Military Order of the Stars and Bars


Links

2012 Wade Hampton Dinner Photos

2011 Lee-Jackson Dinner

2010 Lee-Jackson Dinner With Photos

2009 Lee-Jackson Dinner With Photos

2009 MOS&B Convention in Columbia Photos

Lee-Jackson Dinner Photos

SC MOSB
Constitution

Society Officers

State Society Chapters

Map of Chapters

Pocotaligo Marker

Forms

Membership Information

Contact Us

Welcome all to the South Carolina Society,
Military Order of the Stars and Bars.

A History of the
South Carolina Society
Military Order of the Stars and Bars
By Wayne D. Roberts
March 29, 2000

The Military Order of the Stars and Bars (MOSB) was born in South Carolina on August 30, 1938. The 48th Annual Reunion of the United Confederate Veterans and the 43rd Annual Convention of the Sons of Confederate Veterans met at the Columbia Hotel in Columbia, South Carolina August 30 through September 2, 1938. On August 30, 1938 an organizational meeting was held at 3:00 PM and the Order of the Stars and Bars, as it was known then, was created. The initial membership was composed of 17 former commissioned officers of the Confederate States military and 47 male descendants of Confederate officers. Two South Carolinians, both descendants of Confederate officers, were among the original members of the MOSB. These were Dr. Baylis H. Earle of Greenville and James d’Alvigny McCollough of Honea Path.

The name of the organization was changed to the Military Order of the Stars and Bars at the annual convention in Memphis, Tennessee effective August 15, 1976. As there are no former Confederate officers still living, membership in the MOSB is restricted to male descendants of Confederate officers and elected officials. The survival of the MOSB is due in large part to the late General William D. McCain of Mississippi. He served as Adjutant General of the MOSB from 1954 to 1993. He also served as Adjutant in Chief of the Sons of Confederate Veterans from 1953 to 1993.

The modern history South Carolina Society of the Military Order of the Stars and Bars began on October 1, 1984 when the General Maxcy Gregg Chapter was chartered. The charter members were W. C. Smith, III, David Cooper, Ed Crosby, Dr. Jean LaBorde, Jr. Wesly Drawdy, George Martin, and Henry Durant. This was the only MOSB chapter in South Carolina at that time. It was closely related to the General Wade Hampton Camp, No. 273, Sons of Confederate Veterans and shared the same adjutant for several years.

As of July 1, 1999 the South Carolina Society of the MOSB now has four active chapters with a total of 57 members. The Society officers for 1998-2000 are Wayne D. Roberts, Commander; William E. DuBose, Jr., Lieutenant Commander; P. Ronald Hamilton, Adjutant; and Michael G. Kelly, Genealogist. The General Maxcy Gregg Chapter, chartered in Columbia in 1984, has 25 members. Officers for the General Maxcy Gregg Chapter are R. Brett Bradshaw, Commander; Harrison Gasque, Lieutenant Commander; Roger O. Harley, Adjutant. The Battle of Dingles Mill Chapter was chartered in Sumter December 23, 1987 and has five members. Officers of the Battle of Dingles Mill Chapter are William E. DuBose, Commander; Benjamin P. McNeese, Jr., Lieutenant Commander; and John A. DuBose, Adjutant. The Major M. C. Butler Chapter chartered in Belvedere June 30, 1997, has nine members. Officers of the Major General M. C. Butler Chapter are R. Jason Goings, Commander and Perry Craig Morris, Adjutant. The Colonel James McCollough Chapter, chartered in Greenville June 30, 1997, has 18 members. Colonel James McCollough Chapter officers are Joseph L. Montgomery, Commander; Tom Tucker, Lieutenant Commander; and Kenneth Derrell Morgan, Adjutant.

The South Carolina Society of the Military Order of the Stars and Bars has been very active with projects over the past several years. In 1993 the Society undertook a series of weekend cleanup expeditions to restore the historic Capers-Guerry cemetery in Sumter. This cemetery was severely damaged by Hurricane Hugo. There has been continuing involvement of the Society in the defense of the Confederate flag atop the South Carolina State House. In 1994 The Society donated $2,000 received from National Headquarters for the defense of the flag. In 1995 a new monument was dedicated to Confederate Medal of Honor recipient Lieutenant Alexander McQueen. The Society contributed $500 to this project. Also in 1995, the Society donated copies of The Roll of the Dead to several public libraries across South Carolina.

In 1996 The South Carolina Society of the MOSB began holding its annual Lee-Jackson banquet in January. This has become a special time for members, wives, and guests to gather and share mementos and stories of their ancestors and Confederate soldiers. The January 2001 Lee-Jackson banquet is scheduled at Oakley Park in Edgefield. This was the home of Confederate Brigadier General Martin Witherspoon Gary.

In 1997 the South Carolina Society of the MOSB began annual battlefield tours. These tours have been led by Wayne D. Roberts, Society Commander 1993-1994 and 1998-2000. The first tour was at the Battle of Congaree Creek in Lexington County. In 1998 the tour focused on the Atlanta campaign with stops at the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain, the Battle of Kolbs Farm, Marietta, and Kennesaw (Big Shanty during the Great Locomotive Chase). The 1999 tour focused on the campaign for the Charleston and Savannah Railroad with visits to battlefields, earthworks, and sites including the Battle of Pocotaligo, the Battle of Tullifinny Crossroads, the Battle of Coosawhatchie, the Battle of Honey Hill, Stoney Creek Battery, Tomotley Battery, Bees Creek Battery, Pocotaligo Battery, Gardens Corner, Stoney Creek cemetery, Old Sheldon Church, and the Church. of the Holy Trinity in old Grahamville. The 2000 tour focused on Sherman’s march through South Carolina. Battlefields visited included Rivers Bridge, Broxton’s Bridge, and Congaree Creek.

As an outgrowth of these battlefield tours, the Society has implemented a plan to place historical markers on South Carolina battlefields. The first historical marker will be on the battlefield at Pocotaligo and should be erected during the year 2000. Other historical markers have been discussed for the battlefields at Tullifinny Crossroads and Coosawhatchie

 

 

| Home | 15th_Regiment_SC_Vols | Maxcy Gregg Chapter | Col Stephen Jackson Chapter | National MOSB Hdqr | South Carolina SCV Confederate Museum |

© 2010 South Carolina Society MOS&B